Tag Archives: Sampling

Slowly But Surely….

The weather has been weird today, beautiful one minute and then thunderstorms the next. Finally managed to get an outfit photograph done just before it went dark:

Jumpsuit: Motel

Kimono Cardigan: Topshop

I’ve made some serious progress since my last post, I’ve put the lining into the pintucked bodice of the ruffle dress. It took me a lot longer than I had anticipated, I had to french seam the whole thing so that I could trim away the overlocked edge; if I hadn’t done this you would have been able to see the edge as the chiffon is so sheer. I have to say they are the most beautifully neat french seams in the entire world. Such a shame that you won’t be able to see them!! The bodice is ready now for the skirt to be joined onto it but I don’t want to do this until I’ve finished putting the fray stop onto all the raw edges.

I’ve hand-rolled and catch-stitched the neckline, armholes and opening of the pintucked and pleated dress. I still have the hem to do but there’s no point doing it until I know the height of the model.

I’ve dyed the silk linen for the women’s and child’s dragonfly dresses. It was quite good fun to do the sampling, I used proper acid dyes and so was able to make the exact colour that I wanted. Normally for silk you would only need 1ml of dye per 10g of fabric, but as the fabric was a mix I used 2ml of dye for a 5g sample piece of fabric. I worked out that to dye the full 4metres of fabric (weighing 665g) I needed 266ml of mixed dye, from my chosen sample this worked out as 106ml of yellow green, 106ml of green turquoise and 54ml of charcoal. To do such a large quantity I had to use an enormous steel pot on a gas burner out in the shed, I felt a bit like a witch at a cauldron as I stood there stirring it for half an hour!! This was the fabric before I dyed it, I almost didn’t want to dye it because it looked so beautiful:

I particularly love the blue selvedge, it would be nice to make this the feature of the garment if I had used it undyed; for example the bottom edge of a skirt or dress.

These were the different samples I created:

I need to find a nice box or something to display all my samples when I submit the project and it would also be nice to display them for the exhibition.

Advertisements

Raw Edged Beauty….

It’s been a strange weekend, we had three birthday celebrations and one of the girls was leaving from my work. We didn’t get to go to any of them though because Dave dislocated his shoulder playing rugby! The poor thing said he’d never been in so much pain (and he’s broken a lot of bones!!) It’s back in place now and he’s gone off to London to do a photo-shoot, I had to take him to the train station really early this morning and for that reason there’s no outfit post today.

I’m feeling rather pleased with the amount I’ve got done today, in particular this sample I made:

I think the raw edges really fit with my idea of the fragility of nature. It looks so beautiful I want to make myself a dress from it! The fabric consumption is going to be high but it is most definitely worth it.

I’ve also started working out all the pintucks for the bodice of this dress, but I want to check how the calico plain bodice piece fits the stand before cutting the pintucked paper pattern (just in case I need to make any further adjustments). It did occur to me though that if I really need to put a dart back in, I might be able to put it into one of the tucks.

One last thing, when I was in London I saw the Irregular Choice shoes that I want this season:

I tried them on and they look so amazingly awesome! Unfortunately for me they are £149.99 so not sure when I’ll actually be able to afford them, maybe I’ll have to wait till my birthday.